Thyroid Uptake and ScanThe thyroid scan is used to determine the size, shape and position of the thyroid gland. The thyroid uptake is performed to evaluate the function of the gland.
A physician may order these tests to:
- determine if the gland is working properly.
- help diagnose problems with the thyroid gland, such as an overactive thyroid gland, a condition called hyperthyroidism, cancer or other growths.
- determine whether nodules are present in the gland.
- detect areas of abnormality, such as lumps or inflammation.
- determine whether thyroid cancer has spread beyond the thyroid gland.
- to see if an existing condition has changed following surgery, radiotherapy or chemotherapy.
For more information on the procedure visit radiologyinfo.org (Thyroid Uptake and Scan).